Planting the correct plants will attract the pollinators that you wish to attract in your landscape. Click here to learn more about supporting pollinators!
Types of Pollinators
- There are over 20,000 species of bees worldwide! These bees pollinate the wildflowers, fruits, and vegetables that give the planet life.
- Did you know?…Honey bees are not native. They were brought over to North America by settlers in the 1600s. Honeybees are native to Eurasia.
- There are about 20,000 species of butterflies in the world.
- Caterpillars not only grow up to be butterflies, they act as food for birds, maintaining a key role in the ecosystem in many ways.
- There are more than 300 species of hummingbirds in the world.
- Hummingbirds use their tubular beaks to drink the nectar from tubular blossoms. Their favorite color of flower is red, as suggested because their vision is best adapted to this color in the spectrum and conditioned to this color because of the abundance of food found in red bird feeders!
- Bats and more!